Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Purse Cake

So a while ago, my sister Christine got this cake book. The front cover had a picture of a cake that looked like a purse, and she said that she would make me that cake for my birthday. Since I am not going to be here for my birthday, she offered to make it for my last day of work. Boym she had now idea what she was getting herself into!!!

Now I thought the cake was going to be just a little thing, but much to my amazement, it was ginormous!!! It took 3 cake mixes, each one cut in half so that it was six layers tall. I was totally amazed that it was as big as it was. I never expected that.


So after all of the layers were stacked together, Christine carved it into the shape of the purse. She had never carved before, so she just kind of took a glance at a picture and then started going into the cake with a knife. I was pretty impressed.

After it was carved, we covered it with frosting. Now a little history on this frosting.. it was a recipe that Christine had never used before. It tasted like home-made vanilla ice-cream, and was basically a liquid. She would try and try to get it to cooperate, and it would basically just mush around. It was pretty funny.
Then came the fondant. As I like to say, this is when crap hit the fan!!! For some reason, while Christine was making the fondant, she added the chocolate and it all started crumbling. She was trying to knead it to make it smooth to roll, and it just kept getting worse and worse. Whatever she added to it did not seem to help and it kept crumbling. She was really upset, and I felt horrible. Here she is making this huge cake for me and it turned into this big mess. After a lot of stress, she ended up mixing the bad fondant with a new batch of good fondant and got it all to work together somehow. Then me and my Niece Alyssa had to help her carry it over to the cake because there it was too big!! I was so glad that it worked out though!!!


Once we got the fondant to roll, it was pretty much a home-stretch from there. All of the decorations that she had made went on without a glitch and it was perfect... and big.... and amazingly cute!!! I can't believe she just up and made this purse cake for me. I have the coolest little-big-sister on the face of the planet!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment